Version 1.0.0 released
jonas last edited by jonas
I'm proud to release version 1.0.0 of Strawberry Music Player.
It has been 6 months since the last release (0.9.3). This is the longest delay between a release since the initial release of Strawberry in April 2018. Strawberry has been in development for over 4 years and has grown to a mature state. Most of the players features are finished. To mark this, it is time for version 1.0.
AppImages are currently no longer available. This might change in the feature. AppImage of version 0.9.3 is still available. But it is recommended to switch to a regular package.
Windows 10 is now required, this is not an active decision by Strawberry, it's because Qt 6 have dropped support for older Windows versions. We still provide both x86 and x86_64 releases.
The Windows release includes the newest versions of all libraries including Qt 6.2.0 and GStreamer 1.18.5.
macOS 10.15 (Catalina) or newer is required. This is because Catalina is the oldest macOS release available on GitHub Actions. We only provide a release for x86_64, but it should work on ARM64 through Rosetta.
Strawberry has been ready for Qt 6 since August 2020, and have proven to be stable.
This release fixes and improves code related to changes in Qt 6.2 LTS.
Qt 6 is now available on most Linux distros, it is recommended that Strawberry is compiled with Qt 6 instead of Qt 5.
Strawberry can still be compiled with Qt 5.8 or higher, but Qt 5 has not had an open-source release since version 5.15.2 in November 2020. Strawberry is directly affected by semaphore bugs in Qt 5.15.2.
Releases for Windows and macOS now includes Qt 6.2.0, Qt 5 releases are now dropped.
Summary of the most important changes:
ALSA PCM devices:
You can now list and select ALSA PCM devices in the device settings. Using PCM devices instead of hw/plughw enables you to re-sample to the audio to 48 khz to simultaneously play music in Strawberry using ALSA without blocking other applications from using the same sound-card. It also allows you to use the fading options with ALSA.
Song fingerprinting and file tracking:
Strawberry now provides the ability to create a unique fingerprint for all the songs in your collection, this fingerprint is stored in the database along with all the song metadata. The fingerprint is used to track audio files on disk. If you move your music collection, or your music collection becomes temporary unavailable, it is now possible to track where the songs have been moved once they reappear. It is recommended to turn on "Song fingerprinting and track" feature in the collection settings, it will however significantly increase the time it takes to scan your music collection.
You can now enable MD5 authentication, this is more secure than the old hex method. It is recommended to always enable MD5 unless your server does not support it. MD5 is currently the most secure authentication method available in the Subsonic API.
- Fix updating temporary metadata when reloading songs outside of the collection.
- Don't strip off "Live" from song title when sending scrobbles.
- Fix incorrect use of QFutureWatcher.
- Fix compile of Utilities::Hmac with Qt 6.2.
- Fix a memory leak when using right click context menu in internet search.
- Fix a gstreamer bus leak when adding streams and remote playlists.
- Fix "Source ID x was not found when attempting to remove it" error.
- Escape ampersands in playlist tabs.
- Fix analyzer with S24_32LE audio format.
- Add replaygain fallback gain setting.
- Add option to turn off playlist alternating row colors.
- Make the default tabbbar background color lighter.
- Remove use of deprecated WinExtras Qt module.
- Add CMake test for Qt sqlite support.
- Automatically detect Qt version if BUILD_WITH_QT5 or BUILD_WITH_QT6 is not specified.
- Correct playlist tabbar favorite tooltip from "click" to "double-click".
- Remove scroll over icon to change track option since it does not work reliable.
- Improve resume playback on startup.
- Re-request stream URL for Tidal and QObuz when resuming playback after pausing for more than 30 seconds.
- Add Finnish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Japanese, Chinese, Catalan and Portuguese (Brazil).
- Add support for TagParser (https://github.com/Martchus/tagparser) as an alternative to TagLib.
- Add Subsonic option to turn off HTTP/2.
- Fix minor Clang-Tidy and Clazy warnings.
- Use higher resolution images from last.fm API.
- Add MD5 token authentication for Subsonic.
- Use 500 albums per request when receiving albums from Subsonic.
- Use QX11Application with Qt >= 6.2 for X11 global shortcuts.
- Allow fading when a ALSA PCM device is selected.
- Store Tidal MPEG-DASH file in data uri.
- Use XSPF image elements as manually set artwork.
- Make error dialog larger.
- Show error dialog for failed SQL queries.
- Show error dialog when failing to read or write album covers.
- Add module music formats (mod, s3m, xm, it) to detected filetypes.
- Disable gapless playback for module music formats to workaround gstreamer bug.
- Update directory ID and song path immediately when organizing collection songs.
- Add right click option to star a playlist in playlist tabs.
- Use seconds instead of minutes for scrobble submit delay.
- Add ALSA PCM devices.
- Add song fingerprinting and tracking.
- Add support for native global shortcuts on MATE.
- Add radios view with channels from Radio Paradise and SomaFM.