Linux: unable to stream any music via Tidal
Thank you very much for your work supporting such a project! I am totally new to Strawberry but as I was figuring out how to use Linux, I thought it would be great to have some music playing. Strawberry seemed to be the best way (quality-wise) to get to hear my Tidal playlists. Generally, I thought I got rather far with the setup process, but in the end it does not work for me.
System: Linux - Fedora 34 - Strawberry 0.9.3 & 1.0
Setup: Login using OAuth, X-Tidal-token acquired through Fiddler on Windows
Issue: Though I got everything running and set up, I cannot play any songs. Strawberry displays different error messages no matter the combination of settings concerning Tidal.
Details: For the last couple of hours, I tried to make this work but could not find much info on what I ran into in the end. Logging in works without any problems, it is also displayed as successful in the app itself. Using OAuth with all inputs left blank. Fetching playlists, songs, artists etc. works. But once I try to play actual music, I always get error messages. They differ when changing options in the Tidal section, but I have tried every possible combination and it just does not work.
- Quality Low/High, method streamurl/urlpostpaywall: "Asset is not ready for playback (401) (4005)"
- Quality Low/High, method playbackinfopostpaywall: "This file contains no playable streams."
- Quality Lossless/Hi Resolution, method (any): "Could not determine type of stream."
Gstreamer is installed and up to date, system itself is up to date. Googling did not yield any helpful results (for my understanding). Tidal subscription is HiFi, not Premium. Through the Fedora repo (I think) I got Strawberry 0.9.3 and after all the trouble, I read through the forums and saw that 1.0 is out for a couple of days now. So I uninstalled, installed 1.0 and got the exact same error messages.
That is all the information I can think of right now for you to work with - if you need anything else, feel free to ask.
jonas last edited by
The problem is that the Tidal streams with certain client ID's are encrypted, as for the Tidal native Windows client, this is why we usually use a client ID from android instead.
@jonas Oh wow, I did not know that. Going to look for a way to get the Android token, then. Since the old "Cache" folder does not exist anymore.
@jonas For some reason, editing my previous post does not work (it always displays some timeout though I have not edited before), so I must commit the crime of double posting this one time... to say:
Oh my god, it finally worked. Using Android app version 2.32.1 in an emulator lets you acquire the ******* okhttp folder containing the correct token. This also seems to be the only possible way at the moment, as far as I can see... big sigh, now it is time to enjoy.
Thank you so much, jonas, for all your work and the final hint!