We now got a new website:
Linux and Qt enthusiast, C/C++ programmer and free software contributor
Best posts made by jonas
Version 1.0.0 released
I'm proud to release version 1.0.0 of Strawberry Music Player.
It has been 6 months since the last release (0.9.3). This is the longest delay between a release since the initial release of Strawberry in April 2018. Strawberry has been in development for over 4 years and has grown to a mature state. Most of the players features are finished. To mark this, it is time for version 1.0.
AppImages are currently no longer available. This might change in the feature. AppImage of version 0.9.3 is still available. But it is recommended to switch to a regular package.
Windows 10 is now required, this is not an active decision by Strawberry, it's because Qt 6 have dropped support for older Windows versions. We still provide both x86 and x86_64 releases.
The Windows release includes the newest versions of all libraries including Qt 6.2.0 and GStreamer 1.18.5.
macOS 10.15 (Catalina) or newer is required. This is because Catalina is the oldest macOS release available on GitHub Actions. We only provide a release for x86_64, but it should work on ARM64 through Rosetta.
Strawberry has been ready for Qt 6 since August 2020, and have proven to be stable.
This release fixes and improves code related to changes in Qt 6.2 LTS.
Qt 6 is now available on most Linux distros, it is recommended that Strawberry is compiled with Qt 6 instead of Qt 5.
Strawberry can still be compiled with Qt 5.8 or higher, but Qt 5 has not had an open-source release since version 5.15.2 in November 2020. Strawberry is directly affected by semaphore bugs in Qt 5.15.2.
Releases for Windows and macOS now includes Qt 6.2.0, Qt 5 releases are now dropped.
Summary of the most important changes:
ALSA PCM devices:
You can now list and select ALSA PCM devices in the device settings. Using PCM devices instead of hw/plughw enables you to re-sample to the audio to 48 khz to simultaneously play music in Strawberry using ALSA without blocking other applications from using the same sound-card. It also allows you to use the fading options with ALSA.
Song fingerprinting and file tracking:
Strawberry now provides the ability to create a unique fingerprint for all the songs in your collection, this fingerprint is stored in the database along with all the song metadata. The fingerprint is used to track audio files on disk. If you move your music collection, or your music collection becomes temporary unavailable, it is now possible to track where the songs have been moved once they reappear. It is recommended to turn on "Song fingerprinting and track" feature in the collection settings, it will however significantly increase the time it takes to scan your music collection.
You can now enable MD5 authentication, this is more secure than the old hex method. It is recommended to always enable MD5 unless your server does not support it. MD5 is currently the most secure authentication method available in the Subsonic API.
- Fix updating temporary metadata when reloading songs outside of the collection.
- Don't strip off "Live" from song title when sending scrobbles.
- Fix incorrect use of QFutureWatcher.
- Fix compile of Utilities::Hmac with Qt 6.2.
- Fix a memory leak when using right click context menu in internet search.
- Fix a gstreamer bus leak when adding streams and remote playlists.
- Fix "Source ID x was not found when attempting to remove it" error.
- Escape ampersands in playlist tabs.
- Fix analyzer with S24_32LE audio format.
- Add replaygain fallback gain setting.
- Add option to turn off playlist alternating row colors.
- Make the default tabbbar background color lighter.
- Remove use of deprecated WinExtras Qt module.
- Add CMake test for Qt sqlite support.
- Automatically detect Qt version if BUILD_WITH_QT5 or BUILD_WITH_QT6 is not specified.
- Correct playlist tabbar favorite tooltip from "click" to "double-click".
- Remove scroll over icon to change track option since it does not work reliable.
- Improve resume playback on startup.
- Re-request stream URL for Tidal and QObuz when resuming playback after pausing for more than 30 seconds.
- Add Finnish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Japanese, Chinese, Catalan and Portuguese (Brazil).
- Add support for TagParser (https://github.com/Martchus/tagparser) as an alternative to TagLib.
- Add Subsonic option to turn off HTTP/2.
- Fix minor Clang-Tidy and Clazy warnings.
- Use higher resolution images from last.fm API.
- Add MD5 token authentication for Subsonic.
- Use 500 albums per request when receiving albums from Subsonic.
- Use QX11Application with Qt >= 6.2 for X11 global shortcuts.
- Allow fading when a ALSA PCM device is selected.
- Store Tidal MPEG-DASH file in data uri.
- Use XSPF image elements as manually set artwork.
- Make error dialog larger.
- Show error dialog for failed SQL queries.
- Show error dialog when failing to read or write album covers.
- Add module music formats (mod, s3m, xm, it) to detected filetypes.
- Disable gapless playback for module music formats to workaround gstreamer bug.
- Update directory ID and song path immediately when organizing collection songs.
- Add right click option to star a playlist in playlist tabs.
- Use seconds instead of minutes for scrobble submit delay.
- Add ALSA PCM devices.
- Add song fingerprinting and tracking.
- Add support for native global shortcuts on MATE.
- Add radios view with channels from Radio Paradise and SomaFM.
RE: Qobuz playback - Invalid Request Signature parameter
Qobuz does not accept the signature parameter. It has something to do with the app secret. Either the app secret could be wrong, or revoked, or it could be that QObuz requires that specific app secret to be used in the specific way. I know that there was a app secret that had to be Xor'ed in a special way.
It is not as easy to pick up an app secret for QObuz as they use MD5.
RE: Import ratings from other players esp Clementine
I made a guide now to import most data from Clementine:
This is useful for users who want to import all their playlists from Clementine, since playlists are based on ROWID's from the collection library, it is necessary to import the collection too.
It would be great if you want to make a script.
RE: Installing Strawberry on macOS Catalina 10.15.5
You should be able to install it by just double clicking the DMG and drag the Strawberry folder over to "system". It's the same way similar dmg's are installed on macOS.
However we only provide experimental development builds for macOS since we don't have any developers with mac active in the project. You can download here: https://builds.strawberrymusicplayer.org/macos/
RE: Display details of Tidal tracks in native playlist
You need to enable "Write metadata when saving playlists" in the playlist settings.
Version 0.9.3 released
- Fix "Show in file browser" to work with thunar.
- Check that the clicked rating position is to the right or left of the rectangle.
- Fix rescan when collection directory is removed and readded.
- Create GLib main event loop on non-glib systems to fix stream discoverer.
- (macOS) Fix intermittent abort on startup.
- (macOS) Fix Tidal and Qobuz search field not showing.
- (macOS) Add tidal URL scheme to Info.plist.
- (macOS) Fix Tidal OAuth authentication.
- Allow editing playlist metadata for radio streams.
- Make CollectionQuery subclass QSqlQuery, avoid copying QSqlQuery.
- Only enable FTS3 when schema needs upgrading, since FTS5 is used for search.
- Add setting for configuring the color for the currently playing song.
- Add setting to turn on OSD Pretty fading.
- Add commandline option to resize window.
- (Windows) Show dialog with programs that needs to close in nsis installer.
- (macOS) Make macdeployqt work with Qt 5 too.
- (macOS) Show keep running option in behaviour settings.
RE: MacBook Pro Touchbar - Media Control Button Compatibility
macOS needs to some special tricks to receive media keys without iTunes receiving them (or maybe another application), we used SPMediaKeyTap for this but it was removed by a contributor. Unfortunately I don't have a mac so I can't look into or fix it.
A developer with macOS needs to fix this, I don't know of anyone.
RE: Option to apply (negative) gain to tracks without ReplayGain metadata.
GStreamer has something called fallback-gain. I've added it to the backend settings now.
I've also increased the range for pre-amp to go from -60 to +60 DB as that's what gstreamer supports now.
Builds should be available on https://builds.strawberrymusicplayer.org/ in an hour or so.
Pick version 0.9.3-7 or higher.
Latest posts made by jonas
RE: Per-platform database location path ?
The GetApplicationSupportPath() function isn't used for anything.
The DB path is set here:
RE: Save star rating to file / read star rating from file
The rating in Strawberry is from 0.0 to 1.0. A half star is 0.1. So 5 stars would be 1.0.
There are no standardized tags for rating. How the rating are saved to tags depends on the audio file format and the software.
One software can behave one way, and another can behave very differently when it comes to ratings. Another software might use an entirely different tag, and save ratings differently.
So comparing software to see if the rating of stars is read correctly don't always expect to see the same result.
However, when I see you mention some numbers with "192" and "255" I'm only guessing that it could be the POPM tag popularimeter frame for ID3v2 which are not really ratings, but commonly used to store ratings. These are saved by Strawberry too but converted from the rating, 192 should be converted to 0.8 (4 stars), 255 should be 5 stars.
I think it's mostly the same as described by wikipedia. See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ID3#ID3v2_star_rating_tag_issue
Another software might convert these differently though. So might treat both 192 and 255 as 5 stars. But it's hard for me to answer for another software I have no knowledge of. And you don't even mention what audio file format it is. If you saved the rating with strawberry for both files, I'm not really sure how they could be saved with different values.
Other formats that use Vorbis comments uses very different tags, does not have standardized ratings tag either, and no POPM tag.
For MP3 ID3v2 Strawberry saves a "FMPS_Rating" with the 0.0-1.0 rating too.
I found that Strawberry was writing the FMPS_Rating for MP3 but not reading it back, so it was always converting the POPM tag. Should be fixed now, so if the FMPS_Rating frame exists, it will use that instead of the POPM for rating, which will be more accurate for use in Strawberry. But the database rating will take priority, so if a rating exists in the database for the song, it won't re-read it from the tags.
RE: linux mint Uma, Ubunto focal, libqt5sql5 missing, not installing
I think you need to ask Linux Mint why the required packages can't be installed.
RE: MTP connection error
Most likely something else is accessing the phone at the same time, or it is mounted.
RE: Lyrics from Genius
Maybe something to do with your account.
Unfortunately errors when fetching lyrics is only logged to the console.
But you can probably see the error if you use the debug version available on https://github.com/strawberrymusicplayer/strawberry/releases/tag/1.0.0
There is a console in the background where errors are shown.