I think maybe it gets stuck if you run make dmg more than once without deleting strawberry.app first.
So to build a second time, remove strawberry.app directory, and run make install and make dmg again.
@edward I figured out the issue with settings not being saved. For some reason the config file, strawberry.conf in .config, was owned by root so Strawberry was denied write permission.. I changed owner to Pi and issue was resolved.
The code is there to workaround a gstreamer bug.
However directsound is deprecated and will be removed sooner or later so it's not a priority to fix it.
It will be resolved when we switch to wasapi2.