I actually notice a problem now with Strawberry and GStreamer 1.18 on Windows where it periodically makes a small "pop" sound (possible jump), not exactly sure what to call it, it occurs circa 4 seconds into the track, but sometimes elsewhere too, similar problem occurs when unpausing consistently each time.
I have only tested with FLAC files, but see that problem only occurs with the FLAC codec, playing the same file works fine using libav codec from within Strawberry. I can't reproduce the problem with gst-launch with either codec.
The problem is gone when downgrading GStreamer to version 1.16.2. So I tried to compile gstreamer using the latest code from git too see if the problem has already been fixed, and the problem appears to be fixed. I can definitely tell it by unpausing. So I'm going to use that until the next stable version of GStreamer is released.
So hopefully this will resolve also the issues reported to by @warbaque and @kaiser_sosai.
The buffering issues are most likely a different problem.
Again, thank you. I've changed my studio around a bit and basically taken this machine off line. I did learn somethings about using the command line and for that I am very appreciative. Don't worry, as the novice I am I'm sure I'll be back at some point.
@jonas Yes, indeed. Thanks, all compiled just fine and playing nicely now as I write this. So appreciated, thank you again!.
I notice dsun above saying 'I'm running Manjaro ARM on it and Strawberry is in the software repository.' How do we get Raspberry Pi OS to include it too? - Strawberry is so much better than VLC for music. Nicer UI, album covers, remembers playlists etc etc. It would be a real 'plus' for the RPi community.
The transfer rate from the NAS to the computer is 11 mb/sec
The (Dell) laptop has an SSD, is an i5 and has 16Gb RAM
Since Friday its been "Updating collection"
Running from a terminal window, it gets to 84850 and then stops. JRiver shows there are 86998 tracks
I can play a track if I click on the file name, but cannot create any Smart Playlists
Don't want to keep bothering you with what seems minor problems
I've never tried the KDE connect thing but I'm guessing that it uses MPRIS2 to Strawberry and also have a service running which listens to a port which then function as a received on the computer which again the Android remote connects to.
All such remotes which uses standard MPRIS2 will function with Strawberry.
But they only have basic functionality: https://specifications.freedesktop.org/mpris-spec/latest/
The purpose of having a custom remote specifically for the Strawberry like Clementine does is to manage all features of the player, not just basic play/stop/pause, etc. It won't be compatible with other audio players.
Strawberry will scan every single file in the directory you add to the collection independent of filetype, so make sure you don't have other files than music in the directory.
But to get an idea of what it's doing it could be useful to run it from the terminal like already suggested.
@jonas It sounds like you are saying that the default settings of; Save album covers in album directory and use hash is broken in the case where files are not physically stored in album specific folders. If this is the case, then why bother to use a hash at all? I would have expected that whether using a hash or a pattern, whether stored in the album's (or more accurately file's) directory or located in a hidden directory in the user's home folder, that there is some database that associates a particular physical image file with a particular physical music file.
To do otherwise creates a hidden trap for any user that may choose to store their music files in any structure other than limiting folders to only containing the files of a single album. If someone were to put all of their Goo Goo Dolls files in a folder, or all their songs from the 80's, or as I have done with some of my folders, just collections of completely unrelated music files then Strawberry's current implementation is unable to correctly handle the situation.